The Writer Fairy

Artwork © Crystal Bannin  http://thequeenoftorts.blogspot.com/

Birth of the Writer Fairy

If you’re a writer, you wish there was a Writer Fairy. One who would appear when needed and say “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled writer yearning to breathe fresh, brilliant writing into this manuscript! How can I help?” Yes, I know. The only way to finish a manuscript is to sit down and write. But I can dream, can’t I?

When I searched for graphics for this website, I found a whimsical one from artist, Crystal Bannin at http://thequeenoftorts.blogspot.com/    Perfect! A fairy with words printed on her clothes and the gracious Crystal, who allowed me to use an image of her artwork entitled “Rachel.”  The Writer Fairy hatched like a Twitter egg into an avatar.

Then I had an epiphany. Writer Fairies do exist. They’re the wonderful writers, mentors, or other industry professionals we encounter on our journeys as readers and writers. Why not honor them?

Next week I’ll write about one of my personal Writer Fairies. HINT: I’ve already mentioned her on this site. Check the Writer Fairy of the Week blog to see if you guessed correctly.

In the meantime, please tell me about one of your Writer Fairies or ask a question about writing.

Comments

1. This an encore presentation of comments and replies lost during site revamping. I didn’t want you to miss them. Enjoy!

booklaurie
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 8:46 am
    What a lovely idea! Way back when the RWA conference was in New Orleans, a group of us Special Edition writers who couldn’t make National decided to form a week-long email “support” group to get ourselves through the doldrums of not being there.
    We enjoyed that week so much we extended it to another, then a month, and pretty soon we realized we might as well have our own yahoogroups loop because we just loved hearing from one another.
    We called it the Fairy Dust group, because we’d wish each other fairy dust whenever someone needed help with her writing…and I still think of Lisette Belisle, Lois Faye Dyer, Christine Flynn, Patricia Kay, Allison Leigh, Julia Mozingo, Cheryl Reavis and Myrna Temte as my fairies.

jillianlark
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 10:29 am | In reply to booklaurie.
    Booklaurie, I’m glad you believe in Writer Fairies. How fabulous to have nine published authors of contemporary romance supporting each other! A couple of you give workshops and publish books on the craft of writing, too. Is it too late to join the Fairy Dust group?

booklaurie
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 3:09 pm | In reply to jillianlark.
    Aw, shoot, we ended the FairyDust loop a few years ago…not everyone is still writing, and so now we just email each other whenever there’s big news. But it’s sure a kick when any two of us wind up at the same conference!
    Laurie, who must’ve typed my website in the wrong space.

jillianlark
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 3:54 pm | In reply to booklaurie.
    I’m sorry I missed my chance. I’d rather meet up with members of the Fairy Dust than meet any more dust bunnies. Email me privately about the “website in the wrong space” comment.

Deb Sanders
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 1:21 pm
    My writer fairies are located on the Yahoo loop known as Indie Romance Ink. I would never have had the courage (or the knowledge) of how to navigate the confusing waters of Indie publishing without these great authors. Their talent, expertise (both print and self-published), and genuine caring about my success has been overwhelming. In my opinion New York publishers encourage authors to play their cards close to their chest. Not so with IRI. They are so supportive and forthcoming with information. I just can’t say enough about my writer fairies . . . except maybe to call them writer angels!

jillianlark
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 3:47 pm | In reply to Deb Sanders.
    Deb, I’m thrilled the IRI are your Writer Angels! That’s what this page is all about, finding people who encourage and provide support. In my opinion, Writer Fairies can be found anywhere, even at New York publishing houses.

Gary
    Submitted on 2012/04/21 at 2:20 pm
    Not sure about being a writer fairy/angel, but I can encourage.

jillianlark
    Submitted on 2012/04/21 at 4:11 pm | In reply to Gary.
    Sorry, Gary. You are encouraging and deserve recognition. I brainstormed possible titles. Writer Dude? No. How about Writer Spirit? After all, you won first place in a ghost story competition. What do you think?

Gary
    Submitted on 2012/04/22 at 8:29 am | In reply to jillianlark.
    Holy Cow! I wasn’t soliciting recognition, but I do like Writer Spirit. Now that you made me think about it, I like Writer Whisperer even better. g

jillianlark
    Submitted on 2012/04/22 at 11:30 am | In reply to Gary.
    Gary, you are already on my list of people I want to acknowledge. Now I’ll know what honorary title to use.

booklaurie
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 8:46 am

jillianlark
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 10:29 am | In reply to booklaurie.

booklaurie
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 3:09 pm | In reply to jillianlark.
    Laurie, who must’ve typed my website in the wrong space.

jillianlark
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 3:54 pm | In reply to booklaurie.

Deb Sanders
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 1:21 pm

jillianlark
    Submitted on 2012/04/19 at 3:47 pm | In reply to Deb Sanders.

Gary
    Submitted on 2012/04/21 at 2:20 pm
    Not sure about being a writer fairy/angel, but I can encourage.

jillianlark
    Submitted on 2012/04/21 at 4:11 pm | In reply to Gary.

Gary
    Submitted on 2012/04/22 at 8:29 am | In reply to jillianlark.

jillianlark
    Submitted on 2012/04/22 at 11:30 am | In reply to Gary.

This concludes the encore presentation. Please ask a writing question, comment on the original post, or respond to the encore presentation using the reply area below.

2. My writer fairies are my wonderful writing friends who cheer me on and believe in me even when I don’t. After all, who else but our fellow writers understand the ebb and flow of self-doubt and inspiration?

• Tammy, thanks for taking the time to comment and for being one of My Writer Fairies! You were at my first critique session, and I still remember how you encouraged me to continue writing with my voice. Best wishes for your writing journey!