Feb. 28th , the Other Filing Deadline for Some Writers: Are You One of Them?

calendarDisclaimer: I am not a tax expert, so please consult one and the IRS links below.

Before I started my writing business, I took two tax courses for writers. Neither instructor mentioned the Feb. deadline and forms, so I am fortunate I didn’t need to file the forms until now. (Huge sigh of relief) I can only tell you about my situation and what I recently learned from a writer friend, my web guru, and the IRS website.

Last year I paid one person at least $600.00 for writing related services, web work for this site. Anyone who pays $600.00 or more for materials and / or services related to their business must file Form1099-MISC per recipient (person paid) and one Form 1096 Annual Summary and Transmittal of US Information Returns. If I had paid with a credit card, payment card, or through some 3rd party transactions, I’d have to submit Form 1099-K.

The purpose of Forms 1099-MISC (copies A-C) and 1096 are to ensure recipients report the proper amount of income on their tax returns. Filing the forms is also important to me, because I want to claim the fee as a writing business expense. The forms have laser bond OCR heat resistant ink, which can’t be reproduced. You can order the free forms from the IRS and provide the recipient’s required identification number (SSN). The forms are also available at office supply stores.

Did you pay someone $600.00 or more for materials and / or services related to your writing business? If so, please consult a tax expert and the IRS links below. Remember Feb. 28th is the filing deadline each year.



Form: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-1099-MISC,-Miscellaneous-Income-

Instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc.pdf

1096-Annual Summary and Transmittal of US Information Returns:

Form: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-1096,-Annual-Summary-and-Transmittal-of-U.S.-Information-Returns

General Instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099gi.pdf

To obtain scannable forms:

Call 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676)

Or go to this link: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Online-Ordering-for-Information-Returns-and-Employer-Returns


  1. Not unique to writers but good information. Any business needs to file 1099’s primarily for employee’s or people who work for you under contract. Even true for personal services such as maid service. You should file a 1099 if you paid over $600 a year, only most people don’t.

    • Hi, Gary! Thanks for sharing the personal services contract information. I put “writers” in the title for other writers who might not be familiar with Forms 1099 and 1096 and for the people offering tax workshops for writers.-Jillian

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: